What happens after the car is taken?

California law requires that the consumer be sent a notice either by personal service or by certified mail. It must be sent or delivered to the consumer within 60 days of the repossession.

It is called a Notice of Intent to Dispose of Vehicle. Done properly, it informs the consumer how much is owed, how much it will cost get the car back, where to go to get the car back, and important information that is vital to protect your rights and preserve any defenses you have to a claim by the lender to a deficiency judgment. This document, like all your papers, is very important. If you receive one, be sure to save it.

After the sale of the vehicle, the Finance Company will normally report the repossession to the credit agencies, and may sue you for a deficiency. The deficiency is the difference between what you owed on the vehicle and what they got for it at auction. The difference is usually substantial. The Finance Company will probably sue you for the deficiency. Whether you owe a deficiency depends on whether the Finance Company complied with the Automobile Sales Finance Act.

The Automobile Sales Finance Act...

...requires the Finance Company to do the repossession legally. If you have received a letter from your Finance Company after a repossession, fax it to us at 858/270-7710 or you can This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it., along with your phone number, and we will review it at no charge. Or contact us here with your repossession questions.

San Diego Lemon Law Center | The Law Office of Michael E. Lindsey
Tel: (858) 270-7000 Fax: (858) 270-7710 | 4455 Morena Blvd., Ste. 207 San Diego, CA, 92117 (see map)

General Information Only

The information in the San Diego Lemon Law Center pages is for general information only and is not intended to be taken as legal advice. If you have a specific legal question or problem, please feel free to contact us or you should promptly consult with an Attorney handling such matters in your area for advice.